[Talk-GB] traffic island mapping / harmful detail?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Apr 4 09:46:18 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 4/3/21 12:34, Nick Allen wrote:
> It may be that I was not the only mapper from the prehistoric era who
> hadn't realised that some of their earlier mapping needed updating - if
> they are also on talk-gb they're probably going through the same process
> as me.

This particular issue has been discussed ad nauseam in the German
community as well (generally termed "Flächenverklebung", area gluing).
I'll sketch the current opinion in the German community below, without
wanting to imply that others should use the same approach.

There is a wide consensus that two adjacent landuse areas should share
the same nodes (or even be relations with a common way member), and that
if there is a thing of very small width between the two, like a fence,
it can also share these nodes. If the thing that separates them becomes
as wide as a proper road, then most mappers advocate letting the road
and both areas left and right of it have their own sets of nodes, with a
little bit of "nothing" in between.

If the thing between the areas is not as wide as a proper road but not
as small as a fence - maybe a footpath - it boils down to personal
mapping style.

There are, however, individual mappers who would separate two adjoining
landuses even if something as small as a fence was between them, and
others who would glue land uses together even if between them was a
full-blown unclassified road.

Advocates of the "glued together" approach say it simplifies mapping
because it means less clutter in the editor, and makes it easier to
transpose or refine the area-boundary-including-separating-geometry due
to better imagery or so. Advocates of the "separate boundaries" approach
say that no landuse ever extends to the road centreline so it shouldn't
be mapped as such.

We (in Germany) generally request that mappers refrain from "cleaning
up" an area to match their personal mapping style (either un-glue ways
from areas, or glue separate ways to areas) unless they upgrade it in
other ways. I.e. if someone edits an area just to change how adjacent
areas and lines are mapped, we don't view that as an improvement but
just fiddling.

Bye
Frederik