[Talk-GB] traffic island mapping / harmful detail?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:43:53 UTC 2021

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 at 00:34, Mike Baggaley via Talk-GB
<talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Quite clearly, if both sides of a road are residential areas then the area taken up by the road is also part of a residential area.

Near where I live there is a road named "Malden Way", which has
residential areas on both sides of it. But the road is 10 lanes of
moving traffic split into four separate carriageways!

I don't think there is any value in extending the residential areas to
join in the middle, since there is nothing residential about the
nature of the area. Similarly, I don't think we should extend the
nearby nature reserve, or the park, to the centre of this road either,
even if the nature reserve or park were to continue on the other side.

I say this because you have waved a broad brush around and claimed
that you have a rule that should apply to all situations, and I think
you are wrong. "If both sides of a road are residential areas then the
area taken up by the road is also part of a residential area." has not
been fully thought through. So please, take some time to consider that
there may be other situations that you haven't thought of, before
stating anything as being "quite clearly".

Thanks,
Andy