[Talk-GB] Terraced Houses Mapping - JOSM and iD

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 18:53:59 UTC 2021

According to the definition in the last source that you quoted, if parts of the houses (not the garage) are linked (e.g. bedrooms) then it is NOT "link-detached" but semi-detached, or even terraced.
Regards,Peter(PeeterPan99)

    On Thursday, 8 April 2021, 19:42:05 BST, Mark Goodge <mark at good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

On 08/04/2021 17:45, Colin Smale wrote:
>> On 04/07/2021 12:23 PM Oliver Simmons <oliversimmo at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> `=terrace` is for an entire row. `=terraced` is for an individual
>> house.
>
> How attached to its neighbour does a house have to be to be terraced?
> Where I used to live there were many "mid-terrace" houses with a
> single room spanning a footpath, so only part of the upper floor was
> attached to the neighbour. The locals call them "link-detached".

"Link detached" is the normal term for that kind of arrangement. The
linking building is more commonly at ground level (often a garage that
extends to the property boundary), but it can be at an upper level as
well. Where it is an upper level, it's often the result of retro-fitting
an upstairs bathroom to a row of originally detached houses by means of
filling in the gap between them.

See, for example,

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/54985581/
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/58168002/