[Talk-GB] Terraced Houses Mapping - JOSM and iD

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 8 21:04:52 UTC 2021

>     On 04/08/2021 8:53 PM Peter Neale via Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>

>     According to the definition in the last source that you quoted, if parts of the houses (not the garage) are linked (e.g. bedrooms) then it is NOT "link-detached" but semi-detached, or even terraced.
>
>     Regards,
>     Peter
>     (PeeterPan99)
>

>     On Thursday, 8 April 2021, 19:42:05 BST, Mark Goodge <mark at good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
>

>     On 08/04/2021 17:45, Colin Smale wrote:
>     >> On 04/07/2021 12:23 PM Oliver Simmons <oliversimmo at gmail.com mailto:oliversimmo at gmail.com >
>     >> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> `=terrace` is for an entire row. `=terraced` is for an individual
>     >> house.
>     >
>     > How attached to its neighbour does a house have to be to be terraced?
>     > Where I used to live there were many "mid-terrace" houses with a
>     > single room spanning a footpath, so only part of the upper floor was
>     > attached to the neighbour. The locals call them "link-detached".
>
>     "Link detached" is the normal term for that kind of arrangement. The
>     linking building is more commonly at ground level (often a garage that
>     extends to the property boundary), but it can be at an upper level as
>     well. Where it is an upper level, it's often the result of retro-fitting
>     an upstairs bathroom to a row of originally detached houses by means of
>     filling in the gap between them.

In my case (I used to actually live in one) the link was one bedroom on the first floor. According to my parents the deeds were complicated because they owned the bedroom (freehold) but not the land beneath it.

Anyway the reason I mentioned it here is to add some nuances to the typology of domestic dwellings, in case we end up with a simplistic black-and-white choice of terraced or not. Either we accommodate these edge cases now, or we will be repeating this discussion in the future. I am not trying to make things overly complex, but I will quote Einstein here: "As simple as possible, but no simpler."

Check out image #4 for a view of houses connected only at the first floor:
https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/56235774/

Would you call this terraced or not?