[Talk-GB] Administrative boundaries (from Re: traffic island mapping / harmful detail?)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 9 08:19:56 UTC 2021

>     On 04/09/2021 9:47 AM Tom Crocker <tomcrockermail at gmail.com> wrote:
>     On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 00:29, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org mailto:frederik at remote.org > wrote:
>
>         > > Hi,
> >
> >         On 4/6/21 10:18, Colin Smale wrote:
> >         > allowing only one layer at a time to be selected, and automatically
> >         > unjoining nodes where a node that is shared between layers is moved, and
> >         > being reluctant to share nodes between virtual layers.
> >
> >         JOSM's filtering functions already go quite some way to achieve this
> >
> >     >
>     Frederik, thanks for pointing me back to JOSM filters. I had ignored them because they seemed like they were probably dangerous and I am new... Unless I'm missing a setting they lack Colin's essential behaviour for editing existing features: unjoining nodes when shared nodes are moved. Might be worth a ticket?

I would just like to describe the normal paradigm when dealing with layers, as used by many renowned programs (e.g. Photoshop, QGIS). I am not suggesting that all these points are essential or even desirable for a layer-aware OSM editor; it is intended solely as "food for thought."

* Layers are ordered, conceptualised as a drawing order
* Layers are drawn sequentially on top of each other
* The user can change the order of the layers (typically by dragging within a list)
* Visual characteristics of a layer (line/fill/symbol etc) can be selected by the user
* Layers might have a "transparency" attribute to allow lower layers to show through.
* Any layer can be visible, and its visibility can be switched off. Multiple layers can be visible at one time
* At most one layer is "active"; this is the only layer that is affected by user actions (select, delete, move, insert etc)
* The active layer must be visible
* An object is always on exactly one layer
* The user can delete a layer - all objects on that layer are deleted
* The user can create a layer - initially empty; possibly some layer attributes are irrevocably chosen at this time
* There is a way to move objects between layers (for OSM this may be implicit rather than explicit - if you change the tagging it might end up on a different layer)
* There is a way to clone objects between layers (for OSM this might only clone the geometry as the clone is going to be a different object type)

Have I missed anything?