[Talk-GB] Roundabout entrances and exits

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Apr 9 12:26:11 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-04-09 at 13:11 +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 09/04/2021 12:52, Jon Pennycook wrote:
> > I was under the impression that roundabout exits should be kept
> > separate
> > from roundabout entrances, so that satnavs would be able to see
> > that you
> > have to travel round the roundabout to reach the next exit
> > (otherwise it
> > looks like you can just turn directly from the entrance road to the
> > exit
> > without being on the roundabout).  Can someone have a look at Met
> > Office
> > Roundabout in Bracknell (e.g.
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/636572159,
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/636572165) to see if the recent
> > changes
> > are sensible, please?
>
> That was likely me.  Could you explain what it permits that is
> not correct?

In terms of navigation it now sees what should be the first exit as a
simple turn left. The router no longer passes through the roundabout.

In turn this puts every other exit count out by one, hence it will give
a misleading count to the driver.

So for example from London Road an instruction to go to Weather Way
will become take the first exit, which could end up with the driver
heading down Church Road.

Navigation has yet to update for that roundabout so it is not possible
to provide examples.

Phil (trigpoint)