[Talk-GB] Modal Filters and Low Traffic Neighbourhoods

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Sat Apr 10 23:00:53 UTC 2021

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 at 23:53, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
> On 10/04/2021 22:41, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > Thus in the example in the OP (a diagonal modal filter) the short
> > cycleway joining the two sections of residential highway would be the
> > bit tagged with traffic_intervention=modal_filter (because that is the
> > bit necessary to change in order to revert the road network as
> > perceived by routers).
>
> Reversing the changes in the OP's example needs more that, as it would
> result in a router instructing the driver to bear left, turn 90 degrees
> right at the junction, go forward, turn right at the junction, and bear
> right, rather than no direction at all.

That misunderstands my point. I wasn't arguing that a real human would
be directed to do that. My point is that it allows a reasonable
connected network of nodes and edges to be rebuilt for academic
research.

The key point remains that traffic_intervention is needed in order for
there to be something to find these LTN barriers in the first place.
Stephen