[Talk-GB] Modal Filters and Low Traffic Neighbourhoods

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Sun Apr 11 06:42:08 UTC 2021

On 10/04/2021 23:51, David Woolley wrote:
[...]

> Also, I don't think the ones done with temporary traffic regulation
> orders are actually intended to be temporary, although the backlash
> against them, from people who can't do without cars may result in that.
>   The reason was to get them in quickly, as it takes many months for a
> TRO to go through consultation.

These schemes have generally been introduced with Experimental Traffic
Orders (s. 9 RTRA 1984), which are usually published in The Gazette and
local papers. They are limited to 18 months, but can be renewed. As the
intention is to make them permanent, consultations are in place for my
local schemes for normal TROs or the Greater London equivalent (s. 6
RTRA). Unfortunately, a subset of the car-owning minorities in inner
London boroughs appear to believe that a consultation is a plebiscite
(although if it were, aggrieved cabbies from Brentwood and Epping
wouldn't have a "vote").

Temporary Traffic Orders (s. 14 RTRA) are not used for traffic
interventions, but for things like road closures around street works,
races, parades, protests, etc. They are rarely published, although
longer-term ones might be linked to from the street works register.