[Talk-GB] Terraced Houses Mapping - JOSM and iD

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 09:50:18 UTC 2021

Just to comment on a couple of parts of your most recent two emails:

On 11/04/2021 09:37, Rupert Allan wrote:
> ...I shall ask the Missing Maps group to undertake it with very strict
> rules and your guidances.

Given the quality of your contributions so far I would request that you
don't do this.  If local mappers in Wales and in the UK feel that it is
appropriate to organise remote mapping activities by people without
local knowledge, I'm sure that they will do so, and if they do I'm sure
that they will follow the rules that OSM lays down for such
contrubutions (as laid out in
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Organised_Editing_Guidelines ).

Brian said earlier "Last time I looked  the building  outlines were an
embarrassment and I'm concerned for the reputational damage to osm in
the UK if the situation persists." and I have to say I share that view.

With a DWG hat on, given your refusal to follow the guidelines for the
work performed so far and the damage caused, I have to say that any
attempt by you to circumvent OSM's rules in the future will be viewed
very negatively.

Separately to that, we (the DWG) will contact individual mappers who
appear to be "part of the problem rather than part of the solution" here
and make them aware of their responsibilities as part of the OSM
community (using good changeset comments, communication with other
mappers, etc.). We'll also tell them what they need to be doing as part
of an organised mapping activity, and what you should have done but did
not do as project organiser..

 From your earlier mail:

> - I am hoping to get the project commissioned, but initially a
> feasibility study is requested. I would hope to be paid for that.
I have to say I nearly fell off my chair at that.  Surely given the
damage you have caused so far and the amount of work you have created
for everyone here you should be paying us!

Best Regards,

Andy