[Talk-GB] How do mass map updates treat existing data?

Gareth L o.i at LIVE.CO.UK
Tue Apr 13 16:39:18 UTC 2021

Hi David,

A decent example I can think of is the daylight map distribution. Facebook spoke at SOTM 2019 about how they do partial updates.
About Daylight https://daylightmap.org/
The SOTM 2019 talk https://2019.stateofthemap.us/program/sun/keepin-it-fresh-and-good-continuous-ingestion-of-osm-data-at-facebook.html

Hope this helps

Gareth

From: David Legg<mailto:david.legg at searchevent.co.uk>
Sent: 13 April 2021 16:34
To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org<mailto:talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: [Talk-GB] How do mass map updates treat existing data?

I've been watching the recent thread on Talk-GB about 'The current state
of mapping houses in the GB' and the South Wales incident.  I checked
the map of my area and noticed the sporadic inclusion of building
outlines where presumably fellow mappers have added the buildings around
them.

I'm just curious to know some of the general techniques used when a 3rd
party database is merged into the planet data.  I presume existing data
isn't just deleted?  How does the system know which is the more
accurate?  Someone doing a ground survey might be more accurate than a
3rd party database.

Any links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

David Legg (Novice mapper)