[Talk-GB] Residential highway with area is not rendering

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Wed Apr 14 15:54:18 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 12:46:19PM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> On 14/04/2021 11:28, Paul Berry wrote:
> > Late to the conversation here, for which I apologise, but I've been
> > mapping such features as both an area /and/ a way through the area. Best
> > of both worlds or poor form? Let me know if you have strong feelings,
> > but it works:
> >
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/53.55336/-1.49485&layers=D
> > <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/53.55336/-1.49485&layers=D>
>
> I had something similar to this objected to in the past.  It was slightly
> different because the parking/turning area was offset to one side, and it
> ended up sharing an edge, with the through road.  The objections given were:
>
> 1) sharing the edge would confuse routing algorithms;

Maybe. But I can't see a problem where the "routing way" goes through
the centre.

> 2) I was mapping for the renderer.

That slogan is sometimes misused. We all agree, I hope, that
substantially misrepresenting reality to achieve some particular
rendering is evil. But a good approximation to reality within our
tagging scheme to get a reasonable rendering is entirely acceptable.

After all, your critics were "mapping for the router" in 1) so were
inconsistent. We map for the renderers and routers in almost all
cases while trying to keep the database as clean and pure as possible.

ael

PS. I use the term "reality" in a classical simplistic way above:
discussions of underlying quantum properties excluded :-)