[Talk-GB] Terraced Houses Mapping - JOSM and iD

Tom Crocker tomcrockermail at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 06:09:18 UTC 2021

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021, 19:40 Oliver Simmons, <oliversimmo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 at 12:00, Tom Crocker <tomcrockermail at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > A relation was my instinct but I can't see one documented
> >

> You're correct, as far as I know there isn't an existing relation type
> for terraces.
> If you do the building:part method you can use type=building, but
> that's mainly intended for when doing 3D mapping and similar.

Thanks. And in that case a full building outline is still wanted so it
doesn't get around that.

> > For example, if I was to split this terrace:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/419819611, which has a name and a
> start_date (carved in the wall), into houses, what approach would you
> suggest?
> >

> Normally I personally just map them as separate building=house joined,
> but this obviously fails when there is stuff like start_date and name.
> As fair as I know the only way we have with current tagging, is the
> building:part method (which I personally dislike for reasons stated in
> emails above).
>
> Sorry if this wasn't really the answer you were expecting, but there
> isn't a good (in my opinion) way to do it yet.

No, that's quite alright. It tells me what I'm doing is as good as it gets
for now. It seems a shame we don't have an accepted all-purpose relation
like group:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Group_Relation
There's quite a few places I could use that within a few miles of home.

Tom