[Talk-GB] JOSM Plugin FHRS - what addr:*-Tags are in common use in the UK?

Kai Michael Poppe - OSM osm at poppe.dev
Sat Apr 17 07:32:15 UTC 2021

Good morning everyone!

It might seem that I want to ride on the wave Greg started but that's not quite right ;-) Last year, I developed a JOSM plugin (https://github.com/kmpoppe/fhrsPlugin, also available as "fhrsPlugin" in the JOSM settings) that allows you to access the FHRS Api from within JOSM directly - FHODOT just reminded me of the todos that I still had in that project :-)

Due to the ... "creative" ... way some FHRS authorities structure their data, the returned AddressLines 1 through 4 don't always return the same parts of the address (city, street, housenumber, ...) so in the future release it'll be possible to choose what tag an AddressLine matches (and then save it for later).

For now, - city, housename, housenumber, street, suburb and unit - are available to choose from. From your experience, are there any other keys from this list (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr#Commonly_used_subkeys) that are absolutely essential for addresses in the UK?

Thank you all for any input. Have a great weekend!

Kai