[Talk-GB] Roman road tagged as path and named "ROMAN ROAD"

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 10:43:27 UTC 2021

On 10/04/2021 18:36, Andy Townsend wrote:
> Hello - Andy from the DWG here.
>
> We've received a report about the "ROMAN ROAD" here and I've asked the
> user not to do any "new" mapping until what they've  done so far has
> been sorted out:https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/4901 .

Just to follow this up, I've returned the ways underneath
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7622756 back to their previous
names, in https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/103096575 .  A couple
of sections were actually roads named "Roman Road" previously - I've
left those as is.

The three node removals in that changeset include a ford in the River
Bourne.  Bing suggests a possible modern ford slightly to the south, but
adding that would need proper local surveying rather than guesswork.
The other two were railway level crossings - while there were quite a
few things that the Romans did for us, I suspect that the railways
weren't one of them.

I also had a look in taginfo for dubious roman road names etc. -
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=ROMAN+ROAD#values - and there
are quite a few.  https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/16gJ finds a few
"ref=ROMAN ROAD" which is probably intended to carry the same meaning as
"historic=roman_road", but someone more familiar with the area would be
better placed to comment. https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/16gK seem even
more unlikely (see around
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/23731622#map=18/53.22541/-3.91739 in
the same area for example).