[Talk-GB] Using statutory 'list of streets' for mapping

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 4 08:44:10 UTC 2021

> On 08/04/2021 10:08 AM Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>
> Personally I would stick with the OSM tradition of the on the ground rule. If the signs are in place, then it is still a B road.
>
> That is how normal road/map users will refer to and use it.
>
> It will be a sad day for OSM if we have to dig through official documents to cofirm what we see is valid.

What is "valid" is rather subjective, I would suggest. No-one could dispute that this road *is not* a B-road, according to the authorititave source, and not-one could dispute that the same road is *marked as* a B-road by virtue of a sign. Both are equally valid, from their own particular perspective. There is room in OSM's infinite tagging scheme for both. In this case, no ref=* but something like ref:signed_as=* ?

Such a sign may be a cast-iron finger post left in situ for historical reasons. Normal road/map users may have other sources (paper or online maps) that disagree.

The presence of a sign is not conclusive evidence that the responsible highways authority currently classifies the road in that way. Only the official registers can provide that. However the presence of a sign may indicate that a road is "known as" the B123. Perhaps a quick survey of a limited number of local residents / frequent users may produce a conclusion?