[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] Improving ref=* documentation

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 4 21:56:05 UTC 2021

Hi,

when I said "not making up ref values" I was thinking of a recent
example in Austria where some mappers thought "hey wouldn't it be nice
if this national cycleway which does not have an official short
reference showed up on the cyclemap as XXX" and proceeded to add ref=XXX
to the cycleway relation.

I think that in general, any "ref" values we put in the database must
mirror an already existing scheme of referencing things, and should
never be a scheme that we thought would make sense.

What to do in cases where an official scheme does exist, but has been
shoddily executed so that some on-the-ground things now bear signs with
different ref numbers than some official database, is not something I
have made a statement about - whether OSM chooses to map the sign on the
ground or the official value from some database, in neither case would
OSM be "making up" a ref number.

I would lean towards mapping what's on the ground, rather than what
"should be on the ground". The workings of the authorities can be arcane
and when there's a discrepancy between what you see on the ground and
what the gov't has in their database, how would you know if maybe the
database just hasn't been updated yet, or is subject to a legal appeal,
or whatnot.

We've had cases in Germany where a city council had decided to rename a
street, but before they could change the street signs, there was a legal
appeal against the decision (which technically was in force until the
appeal was ultimately successful). By sticking to what was on the signs,
we avoided having to closely follow the exact legal situation at each
point in time, which, since the courts were busy with the whole thing,
would surely not have been trivial.

But, believe it or not, there has recently been a case from the US where
a local resident petitioned OSM to fix the name of a street, which was
misspelled in OSM, claiming that the name was misspelled on the street
sign as well, and the authorities were refusing to change the street
sign due to the name being spelled the same on OSM. Then soon after we
made the change, the resident thanked OSM and said, finally the
authorities had now fixed the sign as well. I think someone was taking
the piss. But maybe not...

Bye
Frederik