[Talk-GB] Model aircraft landing area

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Wed Aug 11 12:54:49 UTC 2021

They're not models, they fly. They are radio-controlled aircraft. Their 'hangers' are the vehicles the owners usually bring them in. They don't usually have a formal ATC* but the people controlling the aircraft talk to each other on the ground. Not all airfields have a formal control tower or ATC and many don't have hangers.

* I have been at an event where radio-controlled aircraft had to liaise with an ATC controlling aircraft with self-loading cargo (people) to coordinate the RC aircraft with ATC arrivals and departures, but that is pretty unusual. I held the radio licence and owned the VHF handset that was used.

Cheers, Chris
OSM: chillly