[Talk-GB] What to use as source for UK Land Registry Polygons?

Dave Love david.love at oxon.org
Tue Feb 2 20:24:00 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-02-01 at 11:32:54 +0000, George Honeywood wrote:
> The wiki suggests using `source=land_registry_index_polygons` [1]. I
was using `source=inspire`, but I'll happily switch if there is
consensus.

> Cheers,
> George
>
> [1] - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#United_Kingdom

Yet according to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Property_extents_in_the_United_Kingdom#INSPIRE_Land_Registry_index_polygons
 they can't be used.  I don't understand why, as I can't see how the
references support that against the clear OGL statement.  Does anyone
understand this?  I assume just using them to count divisions for
terrace buildings, for instance, is "use" rather than "reuse" (which
doesn't seem to be defined), not even requiring the OS copyright
statement.

There's also https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/INSPIRE.  It's not
clear if it's referring to the same thing, but it's at least confusing
to have the separate pages.

[Though they seem potentially useful for dividing buildings I found,
when I checked a few cases, that the polygons don't always exist where
there are (now?) houses, and sometimes don't obviously make sense with
what's on the ground.]