[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project 2021Q1

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 8 11:04:39 UTC 2021

One tag which requires sorting in the UK is leisure=common

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dcommon

As you probably know, OSM-Carto stopped rendering it. The reasons are
given under ''Problems with this tag' section. I believe they are valid.
Many appear to be misused just to get an area to render green without
any knowledge of legal status (I'm guilty of that)

Unfortunately the actual landuse of them varies so an automated UK wide
correction can't be performed.

Using additional tags, such as landuse=grass to get them to display is
'tagging incorrectly for the renderer' as it's designed to be a stand
alone tag.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dgrass

There are currently 3386 leisure=common
732 with additional landuse tags (650 grass, plus meadow & village_green
etc)

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/13lr

After a quick look, it appears many of the urban cases could be mapped
solely as landuse=grass

If legal provenance is known then designation=common would seem appropriate.

DaveF