[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project 2021Q

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Wed Feb 10 14:06:56 UTC 2021

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 09:20, Mike Baggaley via Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> I would not want to see access=designated as it implies vehicular access to the land and is not currently a valid combination of tag and value.

Good point!

Looking on the Government's webpages [1,2] it seems it is a little more complicated than just foot=designated. For example, I believe that for village/town greens (they're the same thing legally) any recreational sport is allowed, unless it causes a public nuisance. Therefore bicycle and horse riding would generally be allowed unless restricted by a local bylaw. Common land, however, does not permit this and only allows walking.

But foot=designated is a good start and other access restrictions can be added if known.

> Also I think it would be better to use the terms used in The Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000.
foot=designated
designation=registered_common_land
and
designation=open_access_land

I'm a little confused by this.

"Common" land has a public "right to roam" attached to it [1]. A village/town green does not [1]. "Right to roam" land is  "open access land" [2].

So the two labels seem to be equivalent and both describe common land - not village/town green. How about designation=open_access_land and designaton=village_green?

On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 at 14:23, Robert Whittaker via Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>I had a quick look around for any existing tagging that might be suitable for a Registered Common or Village Green. It's maybe not 100% aligned with the tag's original idea, but I wonder if boundary=protected_area might be suitable:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area .

Perhaps with protect_class=21. But I know people favour moving away from this sort of tagging. In fact, landuse=village_green is specifically given as a tag to use, rather than the protect_area tagging scheme!

Cheers!

[1] https://www.gov.uk/common-land-village-greens
[2] https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land/use-your-right-to-roam