[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project 2021Q

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Thu Feb 11 18:01:42 UTC 2021

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 17:15, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists)
<robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I'm here: do people have a preference between
> designation=registered_common_land and designation=common ? The latter
> is what's currently in use (about 140 times in the UK) but the former
> is the full term used in CRoW Act 2000. I'd prefer the former:
> although it's a longer tag value, I think it's more obvious that it
> corresponds to a formal legal designation, and so is less likely to
> get mis-applied.

Surely the entire point of the designation= tag is to record legal
designations, though. There are also commons which exist outside the
registration system, as covered on the wiki page. I think the term
"registered common land" is used for a specific legal reason in the
CRoW Act, not because it is the generally accepted term of art (gov.uk
just says "common land").

Disclosure: I did create the designation=common tag but tagging
discussions bore me to tears so I honestly don't really care.

--
Russ Garrett
russ at garrett.co.uk