[Talk-GB] Mapping graveyards / church grounds

Edward Catmur ecatmur at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 14 15:59:45 UTC 2021

Any of the Magnificent Seven are pretty well mapped - in particular
Highgate https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1612806

If we're talking a local parish church, though, that's a somewhat different
matter. One mistake I've noticed is a tendency to map the entire church
grounds as amenity=grave_yard when in fact only part of the grounds are
used for burials; the correct way to map is landuse=religious for the
grounds as a whole and amenity=grave_yard within that. Holy Trinity,
Claygate https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/250839051 is an example of this
done correctly. The Wiki on landuse=religious
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dreligious though somewhat
dry does cover most of the features you'd expect to find around a parish
church.