[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way mapping guidance for Wiki

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 09:27:06 UTC 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 09:07, Nick Whitelegg via Talk-GB
<talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> My own personal view is that the 'on the ground route' is what counts, if it has been officially signed by the council. This means that it's the de-facto route, the one the council is recommending you use, and the one which is is used practically.

I disagree. The legal route is what is shown on the Definitive Map.
There is a legal process that can be gone through to change this, but
the council cannot just unilaterally decide to alter the route.
Putting up official signage does not (itself) divert or create a Right
of Way. Also, I've certainly come across cases where land-owners have
adjusted the official waymarks themselves in order to discourage
people from using the legal route. So I'd very much prefer to see both
routes marked in OSM. Doing this also makes a record of any
discrepancies (which could be useful for Rights of Way campaigners)
and allows for better automated checks between OSM data and the
council GIS data.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker