[Talk-GB] Traditional Counties and Vice Counties

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Fri Jan 8 16:16:34 UTC 2021

Hi,

I've stumbled upon these different boundary types while researching
how to improve geocoding in the UK. I was wondering if, even if they
are not in active use, some are a useful frame of reference for
geocoding. Often there are equivalent administrative boundaries
but there are enough cases where the traditional counties have
vanished completely.

Note that I am not referring to official addresses here. It's more
a question is somebody would type e.g. 'Mold, Flintshire' to distinguish
their village/area. Administrative areas in the UK are only of limited
use as your government seems to re(de)organise the country every
decade or so. I could imagine that the traditional counties are something
that corresponds better to local views on geography.

Sarah