[Talk-GB] Traditional Counties and Vice Counties

Andrew Black andrew at black1.org.uk
Mon Jan 11 11:31:23 UTC 2021

On 11/01/2021 00:33, Robert Skedgell via Talk-GB wrote:
> Another example of a niche use of traditional counties is sport. For
> athletics purposes. I was born in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands and
> live in Stratford, London, but can compete in county championships in
> Warwickshire or Essex.

I think there are loads of similar instances.  I have just joined the
ramblers (just before LD3!). The Bromley branch is in Kent not  London.

I think there are a number of issues in different parts of country

1. "Middle aged counties" like Avon and Cleveland that have gone but the
old regime has not  quite been reinstated.

2. Areas in london that were never part of the London postal district
but are now in greater london,  I have given up arguing that Bromley is
not in Kent.

3. Possibly similar  issues in metropolitan counties in W midlands, G
Manchester, former yorkshire....

Not sure there is any easy answer to this.  I recall a discussion about
it during August a few years back (remember reading it whilst on
holiday!). Can't remember the details