[Talk-GB] Traditional Counties and Vice Counties

Andrew Black andrew at black1.org.uk
Tue Jan 12 09:49:59 UTC 2021

On 11/01/2021 12:09, Chris Hodges wrote:
> The problem is each application uses a subtly (or not so subtly)
> different set.
>

> While it would be nice to have the boundaries in the data, it would be
> a huge effort to get them in bearing in mind the need to cross
> reference the boundaries that were in force when each use was set up.
> And that's on top of the complexity of how to represent the data,
> without too many duplicates: is the birding county of Avon exactly
> the same as the old postal county of Avon? Probably not because postal
> counties were odd.  Then there's the cricketing county of
> Gloucestershire, with the ground in Bristol - which was in
> Gloucestershire when the club was founded, before Avon existed.

This would be a big undertaking and frankly not that useful (IMHO). In
practice I think the boundaries are a bit fuzzy. Refer the honourable
gentleman to the discussion that postal counties where never quite the
same as admin one!

A (non) management/ geeky summary is that concepts like Kent, Middlesex
exist in multiple namespaces of similar concepts... This has come up in
other areas of my interest - local history research.

A very quick stab at the "onion layers" of London is here
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1UPYKGlzNAgZOO7yUqBZP4tWK7c0vzRuxcZNkdf5WOvc/edit
The ones in Red are the concepts that I think cause problems - former
postal counties in bits of London where peple are in denial about living
in london (Kent actually!). I am going to have a got at redrawing this
with a time basis...