[Talk-GB] Cycling in Parks

Steven Hirschorn steven.hirschorn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:33:47 UTC 2021

I have two parks near me that are almost adjoining. I believe they
apply the same bylaws, which prohibit cycling. However, I've not heard
of the bylaw being enforced and the local council are trying to
encourage cycling so I believe it wouldn't be enforced unless combined
with anti social behaviour (and I've heard similar from someone who
would know).

One park previously had all its paths marked as highway=cycleway and
the other as highway=footway, bicycle=yes.  highway=cycleway seems to
be too strong as they are not designated cycle paths. highway=footway
would not permit bikes at all. Combining a footway with bicycle=yes or
bicycle=permissive seems the right balance to me of de jure and de
facto rules, but I'm not sure of the impact on rendering (I know not
to tag for the renderer) or on a cycle routing engine.

What would work best to capture this situation?

Thanks,
Steven