[Talk-GB] New 'cycling' layer - CyclOSM

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Jan 18 13:59:06 UTC 2021

On 18/01/2021 13:13, Simon Still wrote:
> I notice that a new layer has appeared on the OpenStreetMap site in
> recent weeks - CycleOSM - which gives a more modern look for a cycling
> map.   A lot more detail is visible  - eg you can see which side of the
> road a protected cycleway is situated on - but still seems to have
> clarity issues for London (as the distinction between a ‘cycle street’
> (which appears to bee any thing tagged as a route) and a 20mph street
>   is a different shade of blue

The colour distinctions are certainly too subtle (it probably breaches
disability law).  Moreover, it doesn't understand access properly.  A
private road on hospital grounds, but also serving what used to be the
nurses' homes, but is now general social housing, is marked up as
access=destination, but is being shown as no motor vehicles allowed, but
because a cycle lane is noted, having full access to cyclists.

There is no separate access setting for cyclists, so they should also
have been treated as bicycle=destination.

Whilst, roads maintained by by the council might well have cycle use
encouraged, even for through traffic (there are footpaths connecting to
other cycle infrastructure), this road is owned by an NHS trust.

It also seems to assume that cycle lanes with no explicit type are
mandatory ones.  (Unfortunately, cycle lanes have been changing a lot
recently, and, whilst I don't think my example is mandatory, and there
are reasons to think it wouldn't have changed, the cycle lane landscape
is changing rather rapidly.)