[Talk-GB] worrying edit to junction (now reverted)

Cj Malone me-osm-talk-gb at keepawayfromfire.co.uk
Wed Jan 20 12:33:18 UTC 2021

> Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?  Happy to wind my neck in,
if so.

I do think you are overreacting a little, the first edit was made by a
new mapper, with 20 edits to her name now, this was her 18th. Don't we
kind of expect new mappers to make mistakes? I still make mistakes,
it's best to assume good intentions.

If this wasn't a Facebook mapper I doubt you'd have posted to the list,
I know ideally paid mappers would have a higher quality of edits, but
I'd still expect mistakes, especially early on.

To me, it looks like the second editor is some kind of internal
validator, checking other Facebook mappers aren't breaking things. He
caught some obvious mistakes, but didn't catch that the imagery is out
of date.

Maybe it'd be more productive to try and get them to change there
process, to check osm history before making edits in highly mapped
areas and objects that have a recent timestamp. (cc osm at fb.com)

It may even be a good idea for iD and JOSM to highlight objects that
have been edited recently, to avoid issues like this.

Cj Malone