[Talk-GB] Tagging convention for unpassable roads

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Jul 2 08:55:43 UTC 2021

Hi Edward,

Have a look at Australian practice where this situation is common. I
agree with you that motorcar=no is not correct as it is about legal
access permission. Here in rural Sweden, I heavily use the tracktype tag
as it has wide acceptance, (though not a wonderful tag, IMHO), and is
also useful for estimating cycle speed in routers. I judge tracktypes 1
and 2 to be the sensible limit for "normal" cars.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Unsealed_and_4wd_Roads_.28Dirt.2C_Gravel.2C_Formed.2C_etc.29
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:4wd_only
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tracktype

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:motorcar