[Talk-GB] UPRN to postcode lookup

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 12:15:02 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I have made a layer of the NSUL postcode data which is available in JOSM,
iD along with other editors. I've tested this in JOSM so here are the
instructions for that:

Imagery -> Imagery Preferences...
Click the "+WMTS" button
In box 2 paste this URL:
https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/robjn/ckqlezb1x0fmm17mox6x74cug/wmts?access_token=pk.eyJ1Ijoicm9iam4iLCJhIjoid0dYNkY1QSJ9.A-0lzQOawGYICYPfURsjDA
Tick the Set Default Layer checkbox and then click "3. Get Layers"
Select the postcodes layer and type a suitable layer name in box 4 (e.g.
"Postcodes (NSUL)")
Click Ok

The layer can now be added the same way you add aerial imagery layers in
JOSM.

P.S. For those who want to experiment: I see that JOSM now supports Mapbox
Vector Tile (MVT) layers. You can try this by adding the following layer to
JOSM: mvt:
https://api.mapbox.com/v4/robjn.3uur23nz/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.mvt?access_token=pk.eyJ1Ijoicm9iam4iLCJhIjoid0dYNkY1QSJ9.A-0lzQOawGYICYPfURsjDA
Please note that I have not yet worked out how to add a style to these MVT
layers so all you get is the point locations. However you can right click
the layer in the layer menu and click "Convert to OSM Data" which is pretty
cool.

P.P.S If style changes are of use, please let me know. Also happy to give
copies of my process / any output files.

Happy mapping,
*Rob*