[Talk-GB] OSM leaving the UK?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jul 6 11:52:25 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 06.07.21 13:36, David Woolley wrote:
> It is not clear to me that a donation meets the definition of being
> trading

Yes, this isn't clear to many people but if you are a limited company
then it doesn't matter much *why* someone gives you money, it's all the
same for the taxman.

(It's different for VAT (which the OSMF didn't do when I left the
treasurer job but will definitely need to start doing at some point) -
VAT will only be added where you get the money in return for doing
something, like a conference sponsorship where you put up banners. VAT
would never be applicable to donations.)

But I can assure you that in the past, when the OSMF paid taxes nobody
asked whether the money came from a donation or a membership fee or the
sales of goods and services. Money in is money in, it's all the same to
HMRC.

Bye
Frederik