[Talk-GB] Historic England - tagging guidelines - can we agree on the English usage

Tony Shield tonyosm9 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 10:51:46 UTC 2021

Following on from gate_piers which I wrote to enable me to add entries
for HE objects, I have been directed to two schemes for historic data
and HE  data in particular.

The*heritage page***https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:heritage is
a schema suggested for global use and for England shows

          England

Historic England ^[13]
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:heritage#cite_note-13>

Abbreviation: *he*

  * heritage=2
  * heritage:operator <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator>=he
  * ref:he <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ref>=*

*NOTE*: listed_status
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:listed_status>=* is often used
instead/together with this tag. Note that given the geography the
listing body can be determined by location in the UK.

*Note*: On 19 July 2020 Taginfo shows abbreviation he was used 261 times
and Historic England 5581 times. Historic England is suggested in
Key:listed status <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:listed_status>

The listed_status page shows
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:listed_status, this page is I
think written for United Kingdom use.

      England

In England <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/England> the
responsibility for administering and maintaining the register of
nationally significant heritage assets lies with /Historic England/. The
register is published as an online resource as The National Heritage
List for England <http://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/>
(NHLE). There are three levels of listing buildings:

  * listed_status=Grade I - Grade one buildings of exceptional interest.
  * listed_status=Grade II* - Grade two star buildings are particularly
    important buildings of more than special interest.
  * listed_status=Grade II - Grade two buildings are of special
    interest, warranting every effort to preserve them.

Descriptions as from section 7 of the principles of selection for
listing buildings
<http://www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/Principles_Selection_Listing.pdf>
document from the Department for Culture Media and Sport.

There are additional objects listed in the NHLE: Scheduled Monument,
Protected Wreck Site, Park and Garden, Battlefield, World Heritage Site,
Certificate of Immunity, Building Preservation Notice. These may also
use the listed_status tag.

If you know the Historic England reference number, then this can be
tagged using HE_ref <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:HE_ref>=*.
You may also wish to add heritage:operator
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:heritage:operator>=Historic
England and heritage
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:heritage>=2 (where 2 denotes a
national status).

*Note*: the Key:heritage#United Kingdom
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:heritage#United_Kingdom> suggests

  * |heritage:operator
    <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator>=he|

There is clear conflict between heritage:operator with values of
Historic England and he.

References are using the tags HE_ref or ref:he with the same value.

Data Integrity suggests using one method of tagging and having the
documentation clear about which tagging to use.

Can we discuss with a view to agreeing one method - the Global heritage
style or the UK listed status style?

Agreeing will make editing and consuming data easier.

Regards

Tony