[Talk-GB] Best practice for building names and searchability

Mat Attlee mattattlee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 17:03:47 UTC 2021

What's the best practice for building names and searchability? There is a
building (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/272507642) that goes by several
names:

   - It has a big sign saying General Browning Club
   - A smaller sign saying General Browning M.O.T.H.
   - For the last few years it has been operating as MOTH Club however
   based on my surveys they haven't added new signage for it
   - MOTH is an acronym for Memorable Order of Tin Hats

I've tried to get this correctly reflected using old_name, short_name and
name fields, however my concern is are all these fields surfaced in search?
For example when I use OsmAnd and search for "MOTH Club" it doesn't come up.

Given the building is a popular music venue people would primarily search
for the term "MOTH Club". Should the primary name field reflect the name on
the building or what people would search for?