[Talk-GB] difference between bicycle and MTB cycle routes

Chris Hodges chris at c-hodges.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 15:36:50 UTC 2021

On 16/06/2021 16:18, Simon Still wrote:

>> On 16 Jun 2021, at 16:06, Chris Hodges <chris at c-hodges.co.uk
>> <mailto:chris at c-hodges.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> There's a lot of debate in one of my clubs about what the Sustrans
>> routes are actually for, as many aren't suitable for practical active
>> travel (preferring a long muddy off-road route to a short one on
>> reasonable roads) while others are of limited use to serious road
>> cyclists (too rough) or leisure/family cycling (too far from anywhere
>> much). Of course they shouldn't get all the blame; they're often at
>> the mercy of local authorities
>>
> There isn’t a right answer as it wasn’t defined when the network was
> built, but I believe there is an ongoing programme to rectify this
> (which has started with the ‘declassification’ of parts that really
> don’t meet even a low bar.
The impression I've got of the declassification is that it's more likely
to declassify roads than mucky tracks or daft bits, but that may be a
regional effect

>> That doesn't help much with mapping of course.  Unfortunately neither
>> does the rate of degradation of many unpaved routes, whether seasonal
>> or permanent.  I see a middle ground between your two, or perhaps a
>> split of the "off-road route": somewhere you could happily take the
>> kids on hybrids in summer (when most casual riding takes place), but
>> that turns into a mudbath for an MTB in the winter (when only hardy
>> riders are out).  Mapping that to serve both user groups may actually
>> be impossible, or require more detail than can reasonably be recorded
>> and presented
>>
> I’m reminded of a bridleway warning sign up in Cumbria - “Route may be
> impassable for horses when wet”
>
> It’s mud that’s the issue in my view - whether just puddles (which
> make a route useless for riding in normal clothes/commuting/utilty
> cycling), deep mud (that a bike with tarmac tyres won’t get though) or
> just a slippery surface that many riders will find dangerous.
>
> Isn’t this just the ’surface’ tag though? Does it need any more?

"Surface=" is good, as it "tracktype=", when displayed on maps (clearly
enough for users) or used sensibly by routers.  But of course it's a
snapshot from when one mapper passed that way, and interpreting it
becomes a matter of not just outdoor knowledge but local knowledge as to
things like how quickly it drains after heavy summer rains/
Example:byway "surface=unpaved, tracktype=grade3" near me.  In dry
weather I can go faster on the tourer with slicks than the MTB, limited
more by visibility of other users than anything else.  In winter, even
after a dry week, it's barely passable without knobblies, you'll need to
change clothes and shoes afterwards.  In summer it drains quite quickly
after rain, unlike a local bridleway that was still up to mid calf in
places on Sunday despite no recent rain.

>> As far as some bikes having difficulty, it's also the rider.  I have
>> friends who are willing to ride stretches of pretty rough tracks on
>> 25mm tyres and fixed gears (e.g. the byways around Stonehenge last
>> weekend), while others complain about much easier gravel on slightly
>> bigger tyres;  my own ability to deal with rough stuff on the tourer
>> improves the more mountain biking I do.
>>

> Absolutely  - I’ve ridden some pretty rough paths and sections of off
> road on my road bike which is why I think the Brompton is a good
> benchmark.  Small wheels and narrow tyres mean they’re really not good
> off road and they are the ‘benchmark’ active travel bike for me
> (everyone should have one!)

Even then, a friend has done the local blue MTB trail on his Brompton
and swears he got some air.

Overall I think there's agreement it's hard, and, unless there's a
concrete proposal, I've probably run out of useful contributions, but
will watch the thread with interest