[Talk-GB] difference between bicycle and MTB cycle routes

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Jun 16 16:31:11 UTC 2021

One thing I've not seen in this thread is any mention of the mtb:scale
tag https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:mtb:scale

One early poster mentioned the subjectivity of judging whether a path is
suitable for road bikes, one man's meat and all. While still subjective,
I find  mtb:scale useful here in Sweden.

Allemansrätten (freedom to roam) opens up a huge network of paths and
forest tracks which aren't formally for cycling - so not the same as the
UK, but may be of some use. Routers can apply a penalty based on the
scale - thus nudging routes to more suitable paths but still potentially
using the path if it is short and/or links two areas otherwise needed a
big detour.

I ride a hybrid and my rule of thumb is

0-  should be able to ride at speed and probably still good when wet etc
0 and 0+ Should be able to stay on 100%
1    You'll be get off at least here and there.
2    Will need to walk/carry the bike for significant portions.
Generally I put a high penalty on these for non-MTB biking
3 and above, forget it mate

When playing around with router penalties, I find scale 1 to the most
important. Set high for the most comfortable ride and/or your swanky
road bike, low for a greater variety of routes and your hybrid.

Mike