[Talk-GB] Accuracy of cadastral parcel alignment

Tom Crocker tomcrockermail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:04:12 UTC 2021

I spotted the new land registry imagery in JOSM - thank to those who have
made this available - and the claim of perfect alignment in the info box. I
assume this means perfectly aligned with Land Registry's data and therefore
some default legal position on ownership (although my memory from buying a
house was that boundaries aren't just about what is marked on a map).
Anyway, looking at the layer it seemed closer than the Bing alignment to
what I have been mapping to based on quite a lot of GPS tracks, but still
offset by about 1 (metre?) in either direction. Although there are going to
be boundaries that have shifted and presumably inaccuracies in the
surveying, would it be fair to assume that the majority of their data is
likely more accurately placed than I can estimate with multiple tracks from
my phone GPS, particularly around new estates where I guess OS have done a
recent survey with far better equipment than me?

In short, should I just switch to using their typical alignment as it's
probably better?

Thanks

Tom