[Talk-GB] Environment agency LIDAR tiles

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:24:27 UTC 2021

Hi Tom,

I'm not aware of a tiled dataset directly usable within OSM editors. The
tiled data I am aware of are:

* As background layers on the NLS maps site
* On houseprices.io (AFAIK the original EA releases)

The newer Lidar data (post 2018) has much more extensive coverage at 1 m
resolution, but I'm not sure how much of the country has been covered yet.

When I've wanted to use this Lidar data, I've just downloaded tiles (the
old data is in 1km square tiles, the new data in 5 km square tiles) and
processed them in QGIS to generate a hillshaded DSM & a hillshaded DSM-DTM
delta layer, which can be georeferenced & used in JOSM (via the imagery
import plugin). Hillshades are often the most useful for interpretation.
Other things might be to pull buildings from OSM into QGIS & extract
maximum heights (from a DSM-DTM delta) for the buildings. I've also
extracted contours at 1 m intervals & used something like the 3m contour to
estimate building centroids to compare offset of OSM buildings (doesn't
work for all if trees are nearby).

Jerry