[Talk-GB] Accuracy of cadastral parcel alignment

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 14:41:05 UTC 2021

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 14:31, Tom Hughes via Talk-GB
<talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> The UK does not operate a system of precisely surveyed land
> registrations like a typical cadastral system.
>
> Rather titles are basically just shown by lines scrawled on an OS map
> in the rough area of the boundary...

Right, and the INSPIRE data calls it the "indicative extent", but I
think what these disclaimers ultimately mean is that the boundaries
are not legally binding. It's not necessarily a statement on the
accuracy of them in general.

They are based on the OS mapping data at - I think - a higher
resolution than anything else which is available. I suspect in many
cases this will be very accurate - especially if a boundary runs along
the wall of a building or some other structure which is represented on
the OS map.

Cheers,

Russ

Cheers,