[Talk-GB] NaPTAN Data

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 10:46:18 UTC 2021

The Pay Scale Areas are basically convex hulls around all stops in the area
(this is why Torbay goes out to sea), via "naptan:PlusBusZoneRef". As such
they are not very useful: much better would be a concave hull, but best of
all is knowing which are the last stops in a pay scale area. Cambridge
<https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14SS> shows this well as there are some
outlying villages within the plus bus zone. This is something which is hard
to ascertain from the typical printed material available, but I think can
be found online (I suspect a reference exists on this list from the past).
So basically if the "naptan:PlusBusZoneRef" is populated one can do quite a
lot with the data. (Note: I think there are some pay scale areas which may
not be in PlusBus, but the basic idea still applies. Worst case scenario is
a bus stop being in 2 or more zones).

I'm not sure anyone has tried to map fare zones outside the UK, although
I'm sure suitable open data is available (e.g. the Swiss didok system).
However, unlike in the UK this type of fare zone info is usually clearly
presented at individual stops & on ticket machines.

Also there have been changes in these areas over the past 10 years (a
slight retrenchment in the Nottingham one).

Jerry