[Talk-GB] Seeking permission for automated edit to site=stop_area.

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 12:51:06 UTC 2021

I'm not sure that the stop areas as defined at the time are even worth
keeping in OSM: there were some very odd ones, including ones extending a
couple of kilometres
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/258654#map=15/52.9667/-1.1716&layers=ON.
In these cases updating them may make them look more useful than they are.
Note that OPNV Karte does consume this data as is.

It's quite likely that these have improved quite a bit in the past 10
years. At a minimum they need reviewing. Most should be straightforward
pairs of stops on opposite sides of a road. These could probably be
excluded from individual review.

In principal suitable stop areas can be calculated directly from OSM data,
with the advantage that they can then reflect features more personal to the
individual (e.g.,wheelchair accessiblity, walking speed, steps etc).

The types of location I personally might find stop areas useful are modal
interconnections (train-bus mainly), large bus stations (where some stops
are not in the bus station proper) and places such as hospitals with lots
of similarly named bus stops.

Jerry