[Talk-GB] traffic island mapping / harmful detail? - landuse features and highways

Neil Matthews ndmatthews at ndmatthews.plus.com
Wed Mar 31 22:50:36 UTC 2021

I've had this issue myself -- where another mapper started to delete
what I considered to be carefully surveyed islands -- where I had split
the road due to the presence of a physical obstruction.

I was convinced that following
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions#Divided_highways
and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions#Topology
was not incorrect -- and maybe also considering
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing:island and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing

In the end I tried to reach a compromise that anything of about a car
length or so might be mapped as a node -- to be honest I think they went
off mapping other random areas in the UK.

Part of the problem is that the wiki is "tag-based" rather than "what
options are available to map this feature"-based. So the highway=island

tag page doesn't mention that it might be acceptable to map a road with
a split (and maybe something island-based too). I did try and add some
cross-references in the wiki, they may still be there.

As regards "harmful edits" -- I think that's not great terminology. I've
settled on "tweak" for most minor edits now -- rather than "fix" or
"correct" -- as I think it's got better connotations.

Best regards,
Neil