[Talk-GB] Boundaries/Barriers

Brian bwhitehead at hythe.org
Tue May 4 17:15:57 UTC 2021

Hello All, I'm fairly new to mapping and need a bit of advice please.

I have been reading the Wiki and there are two main issues I can't resolve:

1. Here in the New Forest there is an ancient system, although still being used and recognised, of a boundary being marked by a ditch (or trench) and bank. I understand it originated from the enclosures where the land owner dug a trench along the boundary and piled the resultant spoil on his/her land to form a bank; the boundary is defined by the bottom of the ditch/trench. The nearest option I can find in the Wiki is barrier = ditch, however its purpose is not for drainage (they rarely contain water except in extreme weather!) so how should I tag these?

2. In the local areas I have been looking at there seems to rarely be barriers marked around private, industrial or public buildings, eg fences or hedges in housing estates or fences around industrial sites. Is there a reason for this or is it just that nobody has got around to doing it?

I would appreciate your feedback

Regards

Brian