[Talk-GB] Glenmuckloch mine

Edward Catmur ecatmur at googlemail.com
Thu May 6 12:38:23 UTC 2021

On Thu, 6 May 2021 at 12:44, ael via Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 12:04:48PM +0100, Ken Kilfedder wrote:
> > The BBC article calls it an 'open cast' mine, and the OSM wiki says
> landuse=quarry is for "surface extraction (open-pit mining) of mineral or
> organic resources like rocks, gravel, sand, soil, clay, ore, coal or peat"
> The OSM wiki goes on to say that
> man_made=mineshaft/man_made=adit/industrial=mine are for underground mines.
>
> OK. I hadn't check the wiki. Sounds as if we should define a new tag
> man_made=opencast_mine? A casual (UK) user finding an OSM based map
> would find the description "quarry" misleading, just as I did with a
> background in OSM.

The landuse=surface_mining proposal was abandoned and is inactive, but
could be resurrected if you have a good argument:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Surface_Mining

In this case, you could add resource=coal, I think.

btw: *how* exactly would a casual UK user find that the way is tagged
landuse=quarry? Carto renders with crossed hammer and pick pattern, which
is the international symbol for mining. Are they using the query feature
tool, or downloading the database?