[Talk-GB] Residential flat above an unconnected business

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun May 16 10:35:16 UTC 2021

On 16/05/2021 11:09, Oliver Simmons wrote:
> You can either map the business on the building and house as a node,
> or map them both as nodes.
> Personally I'd prefer both as nodes, as it would avoid confusion.

Although very common in practice, I think tagging the whole business on
the building is wrong, and treats OSM as a commercial directory, rather
than a map.

Mapping as a node is only appropriate if you don't know the physical
extent.  Otherwise, for the business, I would map it with the business
type as main tag, or as a building part, if possible.

Note that it is very common for the extent of the business to be more
than that of the building footprint; a significant part of the pavement
may actually be private land, available to the business.  I'd go as far
as to say that that is true of most high street shops.