[Talk-GB] Residential flat above an unconnected business

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon May 17 10:41:51 UTC 2021

On 17/5/21 8:13 pm, David Woolley wrote:
> On 16/05/2021 23:41, Oliver Simmons wrote:
>> You said yourself in your previous email, OSM isn't a
>> business/similar directory, so I think mapping as nodes would be most
>> appropriate.
>
> If you have enough information to map the business as a building part,
> you have enough information to map it as an area.  Mapping it as a
> node is throwing away information.  That's not specifically an
> argument for building part; it could be a pure shop= area.
>
> Doubling up on main tags is quite a common optimisation by mappers, so
> consumers really should be prepared to handle it.

Mapping as a node maybe all that a mappers time can spare.  Not a matter
of 'throwing away information' but maximizing the data from the mappers
time.

I would think the majority of cases the business would occupy an
interior room .. not building parts. If more than one room then a site
relation?

Considering the lack of rendering such details .. a simple node maybe
the best solution in terms of both mappers time and end result.