[Talk-GB] [Talk-transit] Mapping train services in Great Britain

Michael Tsang miklcct at gmail.com
Mon May 31 21:18:30 UTC 2021

On Monday, 31 May 2021 16:14:47 BST Roger Slevin wrote:
> and one in which I agree with Tony, Mark and Peter in saying that public
> transport services and timetables don’t appear to me to have a valid place
> in OSM

We have already mapped the complete bus networks in certain cities. In OSM
terms, a public transport route is defined as "the order where the service
stops to carry passengers, and the path where it transverse on". It does not
include the timetable data.

I have also mapped a lot of bus and train routes in different cities as well,
and it is very useful for OSM to have bus and train routes. When I travel to a
new city I use OsmAnd a lot to find which bus I need to take to go to a certain
direction, and where it will stop.

The problem with GB railways is that each departure serves completely different
stops, which means, if we strictly follow the "one variant = one relation"
model as in current PTv2 schema, we have to map each departure as distinct
relations on the map, because each departure serves different stops, which mean
they are different variants.

Michael

--
Sent from KMail