[Talk-GB] Social clubs (working mens' clubs)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 07:01:16 UTC 2021

On 2/11/21 9:09 am, nathan case wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’ve done some restructuring of the amenity=social_club Wiki page –
> hopefully it’s a little clearer now:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dsocial_club
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dsocial_club>
>
> I believe this tag, in the UK, is used mostly to identify working
> mens’ clubs (or similar). World-wide is a bit of different story and
> is probably, in many cases, a mis-tagging of club=social or similar.
>
> There is also the tag of leisure=social_club. The wiki page
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dsocial_club
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dsocial_club>) is
> lacking detail but also defines the tag as a working mens’ club, so
> analogous to amenity=social_club.
>
> I will post to the tagging mailing list but would be grateful for UK
> editors’:
>
>   * comments on the usage of this tag, i.e., is my current
>     understanding correct, or are there other uses?
>   * edits/improvements to the Wiki page
>   * thoughts on deprecating on leisure=social_club, seeing as it is
>     analogous.
>
> Many thanks!

The Australian 'Men's Shed' is tagged as

     amenity=community_centre
     community_centre:for=man
     brand=Men's Shed

See
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2019-October/013054.html

Not quite the same thing, intended for retired men as a social contact
with manual skills activities. See https://mensshed.org/what-is-a-mens-shed/

They do occupy either the whole building (typically) or at least part of
it.