[Talk-GB] Social clubs (working mens' clubs)

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Nov 2 07:08:00 UTC 2021

Hi Nathan,

As a general statement: It is good to adjust UK-centric tagging to be
harmonious with worldwide tagging but still be meaningful and useful to
UK local mappers. As we started things, our tags can be a bit parochial
at times. So anything to help there, thumbs up from me.

I come from an area with working men's clubs but couldn't find any
consistent tagging pattern ... or indeed many examples. So personally
thumbs up to your amenity=social_club changes and deprecating
leisure=social_club

Possible counter cases:

1) To what extent is there an expectation that an "amenity" is available
to the general public during opening hours? Working Men's Clubs did not
used to have open bars/facilities but that seems to be changing since my
day.

2) Do consider Australian "RSL" (Retired Servicemen League Clubs). These
are numerous and fill a similar niche, particularly in rural areas;
stereo-typically with a lawn bowling area, weekend end events, an open
bar/eating area and make their money from pokies, (one armed bandits).
AU Guidelines suggest that they use amenity=licensed_club but I've not
checked to see how well that is observed:

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/21141/tags-for-returned-and-services-league-rsl-clubs
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Licensed_Club

Lastly, I was "horrified" to find that Idle Working Men's Club was not
mapped and have made amends now. If you want to use play around with the
tagging to help thought, feel free to tweak:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/9217647304

Mike