[Talk-GB] Tagging a phone box that only allows free phone calls

Dan Glover dan at dgsys.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 12:14:35 UTC 2021

On 2021-11-04 11:08, Robert Skedgell wrote:
> On 04/11/2021 10:37, Mat Attlee wrote:
>> Today I stumbled upon a phone box with the sign "Free phone calls
>> only,
>> no cash accepted". Is there a tag that makes that clear? For now I've
>> added a note to it https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/9223429117
>> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/9223429117>
>
> fee=no presumably applies here, but doesn't fully cover the situation,
> neither does emergency=designated.

There is at least one 0800 number which can be used to make reverse
charge calls. I wonder whether some combination of payment:cash = no,
etc, would work, but...

> If it's in London, the intent is probably service:drug_dealing = no :-)

It is in London, NW1, and the kiosk is apparently operated by Infocus
Media http://www.infocus-media.org.uk/ - so it looks like it's really an
advertisement masquerading as a public telephone. Maybe not surprisingly
the kiosks are associated with JC Decaux
https://www.ardianoutdoorltd.co.uk/project-3

I will see if there's a planning application - this kiosk seems to have
appeared between mid-2012 and mid-2014. Westminster was eventually
successful in their opposition to similar installations, on the basis
these weren't public telephones in the original sense and therefore not
covered by "Permitted Development" rights.

There are lists of the Infocus sites available via their web page. Very
unlikely to be compatible with OSM licencing but "may be useful as a
guide for places to survey".

Dan